Friday, October 20, 2017

Interview With a Writer: Joanna Emerson

Welcome Adventurers! Today I have a special treat for you. I have a guest blogger and fellow author Joanna Emerson. The Mapmaker's daughter is a steampunk adventure set in Ireland less than a decade after the potato famine. It merges Irish and Japanese cultures, since the second main character, Akimi, is a young Japanese woman. She arrives in Ireland while trying to reach England in her airship.Paddy O'Brien shelters her and provides for her with what little he has. When he discovers pirates are pursuing her, he now realizes he must also protect her. One of these pirates, a transgender slave named Jun, may betray everyone to achieve freedom.

What inspired you to write about Jun?
I was inspired by many things to write the character of Jun. She's perhaps the most conflicted character I ever wrote. One of the main inspirations was the idea of Empathy, and how some people can sense the emotions of others in an almost supernatural way. With Jun, I took it a step further into the supernatural.

How long has the character been in your thoughts?

Jun had been in my thoughts for around ten years before I started to write the book. That said, she sprang onto the page in some exciting ways!


Whatis one trait you wished you shared with your main character?
Although I'm glad I cannot SMELL emotions the way she can, I do wish I could fly an airship like Jun can. That would be awesome. In terms of personality traits, I wish I shared her tenacity, her drive, and her determination. I guess those are three traits, but they're related.

Thank you so much for hosting me.

Thank you for coming. You can find The Mapmaker's Daughter here on Amazon for 0.99 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment