Thursday, March 9, 2017

Music and Imagination

         Welcome Adventurer. Today I'd like to talk about story telling through music. It was while writing The Clockwork Golem that I stumbled upon the band Abney Park. I loved the ability they had to not only tell a story with the lyrics, but also the sounds, and music arrangements. One of my favorites is the son The Wrath of Fate from their The End of Days Album. From the first tones it begins setting the feel of trouble aboard a pirate ship. But then again their songs Neobedouin, and The End of Days from the same album use more tribal sounds to make the setting for entirely different stories. As a writer songs like these help me see the importance of pulling in all the senses into my stories. It's not enough to mention a bottle of perfume on the table. If that perfume was just used you need to say does it smell flowery? Fruity? Maybe it smells of vanilla and spices and smoke. Use the character's nose, eyes, ears, and sense of touch to make a setting. That's all I have for today Adventurer enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment