Friday, August 18, 2017

An Interview With an Author: Debbie McQueen

Welcome Adventurers! Today I have a special treat for you. I have guest blogger and fellow author Debbie McQueen, Here to talk about her new book The Scarlet Cord.




Tell my adventurers the name of your book and about the world you created.
The Scarlet Cord (A Beauty in Strength Novel) is a fictional telling of the story of Rahab. The story mostly takes place in the ancient walled city of Jericho. I wanted to portray what daily life was like inside a fortified, yet, busy trade city. I also have parts of the story that follow Salmon, a commander among the Israelite people. His story shows what life was like among the Israelites who had been wandering the desert for forty years.



What inspired you to write about this character?
I did a Bible study several years ago about women of the Bible, and when it came to Rahab, I just fell in love with her story. I tried to imagine how someone who lived at a time where men were dominant, and women were often viewed as property could become a strong and independent business woman. Yes, Rahab’s body was her business, but even more than that, as the Bible tells about how she would dry flax stalks on her roof. She worked and labored, and found herself open and willing to be used by the God of the Hebrews, even though Jericho worshiped many gods. I also love that she is the mother of Boaz- the man who takes in Ruth and Naomi. I think that she must have fostered a feeling of “we welcome people into our family.” Rahab is also the great-great grandmother of King David, and is in the bloodline of Christ. So, I really wanted to portray how a harlot in a godless city could play such an influential role. I also really enjoyed the perspective I had gotten from that Bible study years ago, that said one of the Israelite spies was the man she married and had Boaz with. There is a swoon factor with the love story that God entwined into her life. Ultimately, I love her story of hope, redemption, strength, and love.



How long has this character been in your thoughts? I have been working on this book for about 6 years. Most of that time was not spent actively writing, but Rahab often was in my thoughts as I tried to weave and imagine her story. I knew the ending already- the Bible provides that, however, all of her background and history came from my own imagination. I recall dreading when I knew I had to put her through difficult times, but knowing she needed to in order to bring her character to where she needed to be.



What is the one trait you wished you shared with your main character?
I’m not sure I could pick just one trait, there are a lot of things I admire about her, but perhaps it is her kind heart despite the times she nearly allowed the anger and hatred to take over. Here’s one of my favorite lines- “You are gentle, kind, brave. Your father does not own your heart or your spirit. Do not give it to him.”



No comments:

Post a Comment