Thursday, November 23, 2017

Chatacter Chat: Lawrence

Welcome Adventures, to Character chat. In this new article I’ll be talking with characters from newly released and soon to be released books. Today’s guest is Lawrence from The Lawrence Chronicles an Anthology,


Welcome, so tell my adventurers about your world.

Well, most people wouldn’t believe it. I don’t know why the Big Man gave you clearance for this in the first place, but it’s not my place to argue. I work as Head of North Pole security doing one of the most dangerous and ridiculous jobs in the world. It’s all pretty classified. I don’t think I’d believe it myself if I hadn’t been living it for six years.

Let me start by saying the North Pole isn’t at all like the movies. First off, we don’t celebrate Christmas all year round. How exhausting would that be? I mean the talking reindeer, the elves, all that stuff is routine, but everyone’s just doing his or her job. We don’t really start celebrating until the day after Thanksgiving. Thank the North for that. The city’s got some pretty sweet technology too, above and beyond what I’ve seen in the normal world. Pretty handy when I need a weapon in a pinch.

Yeah. You normally wouldn’t think of someone working at the North Pole as someone who needed any fancy weapons, but every rule has its exceptions. Working for Santa isn’t all candy canes and hot cocoa. I often find myself in situations where I need my trusty side arm just as much as I did back in the Marine Corps. Yetis, witches, trolls, all are common place. You didn’t think the legendary world was limited to Santa and his flying reindeer, did you? The mythical world is a package deal, kid. If it weren’t, I’d be out of a job. You get the bad along with the leprechauns, elves, and flying reindeer. Yetis, bigfoot, werewolves, you name it. The world I live in is full of mythical creatures, magic, and surprisingly advanced elf technology. It’s my job to defend the North Pole and its assets from all hostile threats, and I’ve earned my fair share of scars doing it. But on the whole, it’s not so bad. The pay’s reasonable, and I’ve got some pretty decent people and animals to work with. Even if Donner can be a regular pain in the neck.


What are some of the places you’d recommend my adventurers see in your world?

You sure you have clearance for this? Alright. Well. It’s all pretty classified. If you’re looking for a pretty tourist spot the North Pole itself is breathtaking enough. Highly recommended. Decent view, pretty landscape, nice enough as long as you don’t mind the dangerous temperatures and wild yetis. I’ll admit it’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever worked. The Aurora Borealis on a clear night, now that’s something to behold.

Loch Ness is high on my list too. Yeah. Loch Ness. As in the Loch Ness monster in Scotland’s Loch Ness. Just because I work for Santa doesn’t mean I’m stuck at the North Pole 24/7. My job involves quite a bit of traveling, checking on outposts, and visiting other creatures that aren’t supposed to exist. Like Nessie. She’s one of the many mythical creatures Santa has his people looking after. The Loch is one of my favorites to visit. Nice place, and Nessie’s kind of fond of me. Plus, it’s relatively goblin free. Yes, goblins are real too. Who did you think was responsible for your socks going missing from the dryer? There’s more magic in your everyday life than you’ll probably ever know. Ask Sprinkles: the old elf will tell you all about it.


Tell my adventurers about some of the technology in your world.

I don’t understand half of it. You should have seen the chaos when the elves upgraded the interactive heads up display in my helmet. I could hardly see straight with all those messages and circles flying around the screen inches from my face. It was a nightmare. Thankfully, I got Taffy to reprogram the HUD before it drove me insane. Taffy is one of the head technicians in the lab responsible for most of the technology in the city. Honestly, I’m not sure how much of the tech is magic and how much is just regular elf and dwarf ingenuity. My uniform’s kind of like a mash of both. I wear a specially designed thermal suit that keeps me from freezing when the temperature outside drops to forty below. The suit comes along with a kind of sleek, motorcycle looking helmet that keeps my head from becoming an ice cube while I’m on patrol. It’s an extra measure of protection when I’m driving a snowmobile or battling some bad tempered mythical creature.

Everyone on the security force has got these stunners too. See? Shoot out pulses of blue light that can knock a goblin unconscious from twenty feet away. The lab also makes an array of special powders that can be used for breaking through fancy locks or disabling security cameras. My personal favorite elf invention happens to be the polar copter, but I haven’t been able to fly yet. It’s impressive enough. More like something out of a science fiction movie than something you’d expect little Christmas elves to be flying around in. But I’ve yet to get my piloting license. I’m pretty sure Peppermint is avoiding lessons on purpose.


How would you describe your fellow characters?

Plenty of words come to mind, some of which, as Head of North Pole and Magic Relations Security, I’m obliged not to repeat. Had to give up swearing and smoking when I joined Santa’s security force. My fellow coworkers are competent. Most of them. Donner’s reliable. Saved my life more than once, and he keeps his head in an emergency. Sprinkles can be a regular pain in the neck but over the years I’ve learned to trust him too. He usually turns out to be right anyway, no matter how ridiculous his stories sound. I guess that comes from a hundred years’ experience being the head of security. He had the job long before I did. Let’s see, Tina, Marshmallow, Yorik, Tinker, I work with dozens of people, some human some not. It’d be impossible to name them all. Most of them are selfless and practical, and I trust them with my life. Donner especially, but don’t tell him that. We go way back. There was one time-

Hang on…

Alright. Sorry to cut our interview short, but I gotta go. Apparently, there’s a troll running around loose in New York Central Park. Santa wants it dealt with before it, I don’t know, eats someone. Pleasure talking with you. Make sure you encrypt any copies you make of this interview. You don’t look like a security breach, but I don’t want anything left to chance. Later.




Thank you for coming to talk with us, and can’t wait to read all about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment